Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Film Adaptation Proposal: The Lottery

Title: The Lottery. I would keep the same title, because I am keeping most of the main elements and ideas of the original short story.

Characters:
 Mr. Summers- Stephen Root. I can picture him as Mr. Summers and I believe he would be a good fit for the part. His roles in O, Brother Where art thou?, and Office Space brought him to mind. 

Mr. Graves- I would have Steve Buscemi be the postmaster, as he is an interesting fellow and could be a somewhat mysterious and devious character. 

Old Man Warner- I would have Jack Nicolson. He is a remarkable actor and in his current old age would fit nicely for an old man with a maniacle grin. 

Mrs. Hutchinson- I would give the role to Diane Lane. She came to mind when I thought of a woman who would fit well as a supporting/ lead actress

I have many smaller roles that I would make larger part of the story. I wanted to wait to right my paper before I revealed them. 

Setting: I would have it set in the summer,the country and year are not important. It will be in a small modern village with strict limitations and lack of outside influence. 

Plot: I will have there be a conspiracy behind the lottery, and the town will have its heroes and villains. There will be a method to the madness and a dark reason behind the ruse for a lottery.

Irony: Irony will be played out in mostly a situational form. There may be some elements of dramtic irony as well.

Symbolism: There will be symbols, the stones, the  box, many things of that sort. There could also be a use of symbolism through colors. 


1 comment: