Sunday, June 21, 2009

Desiree's Baby

I am on the fence with Kate Chopin's "Desiree's Baby," I found the beginning of the story a little bit confusing. I found myself reading it, but not enjoying it. The twist that caught me off guard was when they found out that the baby wasn't white. After that fact, and the husband's extreme change in personality, I pretty much guessed that karma would be against him in the end. He ended up throwing her out because he thought Desiree was black, when in reality he was. His own prejudice was in the end against himself. I did like that part of the story, that he is left to face his own ignorance. He threw his wife and baby away for something that was his fault. There really was no way for him to know, however he was so quick to accuse the women he loved, because her background was a mystery. Turns out he didn't know his own past.

1 comment: