Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Favorite and least favorite

My favorite story from this semester would have to be The Invalid's Tale by Mark Twain. I am a big fan of Samuel Clemens, and have been since I was young. My father used to read us Twain stories when we were little, and I have always been a fan of his irony and sense of humor. The way that Twain used dialogue to show the lack of grammar skills in the story, along with the irony made me really get into the story and enjoy it. Twain has a way of making fun of the main character that draws me in. How you know the whole time that the terrible smell is coming from cheese, and seeing the suffering that the men in the story are going through, thinking that the stench is coming from the body, that is actually a box of guns, is quite comical. By the end of the story the main character believes that he is going to die. I felt it was a very funny and well written story that was much different in it's style than anything else that we read in this class.
My least Favorite story was The Birthmark, by Nathaniel Hawthorn. I did not like this story for the fact that a man could not find the women he claimed to love, his wife, perfect. He married her and fell in love with her with a birthmark on her face. Yet as time went on he grew to see it as an imperfection. This made me feel that Alymer was a pompous asshole who did not deserve the love of a good woman. I found it heartbreaking for this man to do what he did. He risked and ended his wife's life over the fact that she had a mark on her face. The more I read this story, the more I began to hate it. I have been in love, and for him to throw it away over something so stupid made me hate him. This is how I felt and react to the stories in this class. There were many great stories in this class, and a few bad ones, and these are the ones that I chose as the best and the worst.

1 comment: